Wikipedia Trail: From Hanuman to the Mahabharata




So I finally decided I wanted to start with the Hanuman page. Shocker really, considering my two favorite stories that I've written so far are about him. While looking through the page this time around, I found mention of Bhakti Yoga. Honestly, I thought yoga was yoga so I naturally decided to look deeper.

Turns out that Bhakti Yoga is a "spiritual path of loving devotion to a personal Divine." My interpretation of that is that you spend time every day in quiet meditation, relaxing your body and praying to the Divine that resonates most with you. I'm not sure if that is correct, but that's what I understood.

This particular yoga was apparently discussed in the Bhagavad Gita. This is a collection of verses and scripts that discuss the interactions of Arjuna and Krishna. This book is apparently a part of the Mahabharata, which is much larger than the version we are reading for class. From the sounds of it, the original Mahabharata is 2000 verses. For reference, that is ten times larger than the Illiad and the Odyssey.


Krishna and Arjuna

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to the Rocket Scientist

Week 2 Story: The Alpaca and the Beasts