Week 8 Reading and Writing

Overall, I enjoyed the Ramayana a lot more than I have the Mahabharata. It might just be because I have been a lot busier, but I'm not sure that's the whole reason. I just cant seem to enjoy the characters nearly as much as I did with Ravana and Hanuman. It's actually been a lot of fun writing about Hanuman in  my portfolio, and I'm kind of sad that his stories are harder to find in the Ramayana versions we have.

As far as notes go, I usually take mine about the story I want to re-write, but occasionally I go back and find a different story to write that I didn't take notes for. I've learned to focus much more on the sparse details offered about the environment and sensations experienced in each story rather than the summary. The reason for this is that the plot is usually very straight forward.

The image here is what I was originally going to use for my 'Abyssal Struggle' story. I picked it because it's interesting to me how I had completely different ideas about how to write the story while reading it, and when I actually re-wrote it. I went from this kind of imagery of a massive demon to a football fish.

Sinhikha
I think I need to broaden my viewpoint a little bit to get more from the readings. I have been so focused on finding a character similar to Hanuman in the Mahabharata, that none of the stories have really stood out to me.

Comments

  1. Geoff, I agree with you that I have found the Ramayama more interesting than the Mahabharata, and for me, this is mostly due to the fact that something is always either happening or something is preparing to happen, where the Mahabharata has more slow sections. I think this mostly has to do with me doing the reading hunting for that next chapter of my own story, rather than trying to completely understand the depth of the characters and relationships themselves. I do not know if this will help you get more out of the reading, but it is something that I definitely looking at doing more of in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to the Rocket Scientist

Week 2 Story: The Alpaca and the Beasts