Week 9 Story Planning: Ungodly Power



The story I am thinking about writing is the one I just took notes for. It is the mantra that Kunti gained from sage Durvasa after she showed him kindness when all others at the palace only showed fear. He whispered the mantra to her and told her only that it could summon any god. I guess she was bored, because she decided to just try it out and ended up summoning the sun god Surya. She ended up having a child with him.

I am only really interested in the mantra itself here. If I write a new story from this, that is the part I am going to keep. I had mentioned in my reading notes a little bit of the kind of battle I would want to write about, but I think I can flesh that description out a little more.

I want some kind of wide open battlefield on the outskirts of a well defended city. I might set it in the Terai-Duar grasslands, where everything is pretty open and flat. I think I will start it at a late stage in the battle, where the city gate is about to be breached. This is where I will create the protagonist of the story. I want them to be some kind of court magician, and they offer their life force to bring down a god to defend them.
Image result for grassland in india
Terai-Duar

The attackers will be readying a battering ram when the sky splits open and a giant of a knight comes crashing down, sword already swinging. I will put some details here about how the attackers will stand in a stunned silence as the god swings his weapon and splits their front lines apart.

From there, I will have the attacking army rally and shift focus from attacking the city to all attacking this behemoth. I don't exactly want it to be a deity, but I do want it to be enormously powerful, such that the outcome is indeterminate, and I will leave the story hanging at the end, with the reader completely uncertain of whether or not the battle was won or lost.
Image result for medieval battle with giants
Link


Bibliography:

Author: Epified
Title: The Mahabharata

Comments

  1. Geoff, sounds like you have a good plan in place for your next story assignment, keeping a couple bones from the original story while furthering the narrative you have been telling all semester. Your location of the Terai-Duir has the perfect looks and setting for a battle, that sort of peaceful countryside about to see immense war. I am looking forward to reading the completed story next week and seeing the cliffhanger you have planned

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to the Rocket Scientist

Week 2 Story: The Alpaca and the Beasts