Wikipedia Trail: From Shiva to Shaktism

I wanted to learn more about Shiva this week, so that was my starting point. I found out that among his countless fearsome and brutal depictions, he is also known as the god of yoga.

Learning about Shiva led me to wonder about other Hindu deities, so I followed a link for principal deities. What I found here is that Hinduism has a very large number of deities.

I also followed a link for Devi, since I had no idea what it was. Turns out, that is is just the Sanskrit word for goddess. In this new page I found reference to a goddess named Mahatmya, who is the inspiration of Shaktism. This is a really interesting ideology within Hinduism in which the supreme being is female. This has a lot to do with entities such as Kali, and is a really interesting read.

Shaktism

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to the Rocket Scientist

Week 2 Story: The Alpaca and the Beasts